SelectSouthBay Contributor Guidelines
SelectSouthBay is the South Bay’s hyper local listing portal and vital community resource for properties, events, people, and real estate created by marketing professionals, local bloggers as well as volunteer contributors with industry expertise.
We think you should write for SelectSouthBay, too! Here’s how to get started …
Send your contact information and a sample of your best writing to email@example.com
Who can contribute?
Agents, brokers and local businesses with a passion for real estate and South Bay lifestyle are invited and encouraged to become contributors.
How often can I contribute?
Most of our contributors write one or two articles a month. Write more frequently if you want to increase your visibility and build your personal brand.
What should I write about?
- Topics that matter to you, your clients, colleagues, competitors, vendors, real estate industry leaders and policy-makers.
- A specific niche (luxury properties, kitchen remodels, or South Redondo Beach, for example).
- A personal experience that taught you a lesson or two.
- Your “South Bay story”
- A valuable insight no one else can offer.
- Educate your colleagues about a new process, practice or technology that helped grow your business.
- Remember: if you haven’t read about it, consider writing it!
What is not allowed or not likely to be accepted?
- Endorsements for your company, product, team, or service. (No commercials for you or your company, please! If you wish to publish a sponsored article or other sponsored content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for rates and further details.)
- Overt critiques or attacks.
- Contributions that rely heavily on math, data, or claims that our editors cannot research and independently verify.
- Surveys or data that have not been published publicly elsewhere.
- Contributions over 1,200 words in length.
These ideas will get you started. Email email@example.com if you have ideas for articles you would like to contribute.
Tips for writers
- If you’re not familiar with our site, take the time to read what others have done so you understand the general tone and voice before contributing yourself
- Articles should be 500-800 words (longer, if the subject merits it).
- Start with a headline and follow with an outline.
- Limit your introduction; get to the point.
- Offering advice? Provide three to five (but no more than 10) action items or takeaways.
- Anecdotes help provide color and make your article unique.
- Use simple, direct prose and active verbs.
- Use Associated Press (AP) style. Strunk and White’s “The Elements of Style” also is an excellent resource for any writer.
- Every writer needs an editor. Ask a colleague to review your article to make sure the points you make are clear before you submit it.
How do I submit an article?
SelectSouthBay publishes using the WordPress (WP) system. Before you submit an article for publication, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I need to provide images?
We appreciate original photography but do not accept copyrighted material. If you have an idea about how to illustrate your article, talk to us!
What happens after I submit my article?
Our editors will review it for content and determine where it fits with our upcoming editorial calendar. Often we will ask you to make some edits, such as elaborating on aspects of the piece we think readers will find interesting. When the article is ready for publication, you’ll be notified so that you’ll know when to visit SelectSouthBay.com and see your byline!
Do you edit my article?
All submissions to SelectSouthBay are reviewed by our editorial team for compliance with Associated Press style guidelines and publishing policies. SelectSouthBay reserves the right to edit all article headlines and other content, and to fact check any claims with sources at other organizations and companies, to ensure that contributed articles are accurate and read by as many of our community members as possible.
Do you publish archival content?
Submissions to SelectSouthBay should be written or recorded specifically for publication in SelectSouthBay. If you have previously published content that seems particularly well suited for the SelectSouthBay audience, we would be happy to review it.
What about publication rights?
All submissions become the property of SelectSouthBay upon publication.
Do you take paid contributions?
We do not take money for contributed stories. Any contributors who are paid by outside parties to insert links should disclose or risk the end of our relationship and their stories being removed from our site.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Contact email@example.com with any questions about contributing. We’re here to help!