Palos Verdes High School
Dr. Allan Tyner, Principal
600 Cloyden Road
Palos Verdes Estates CA 90274-1869
(310) 378-8471 | FAX: (310) 378-0311
The Palos Verdes High School (PVHS) campus sits on approximately 40 acres in a quiet residential neighborhood in Palos Verdes Estates, two blocks from the Pacific Ocean. The school’s architecture is geometric in design, connecting the interior to exterior spaces with a stucco finish and a clay tile roof, which conforms to the cities deed restrictions requiring clay tile on major roofs. With the simple post and beam construction designed by the well-known
modernistic architect, Richard Neutra, assisted by Robert Alexander and Palos Verdes architect, Carrington Lewis, the school is carefully arranged within the landscape to provide protection from ocean winds, the feeling of architectural space, and a Pacific Ocean view. The initial owner of the PVHS site was the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD), which intended to make it a junior high school. During that time, the Peninsula had only an elementary school district making it necessary for school students to travel to El Segundo High School, Redondo Union High School, or Narbonne High School. In 1960, the Palos Verdes Peninsula Board of Education voted to unify the school district and to add a high school. As a result, the PVPUSD purchased the property from LAUSD, with PVHS opening its doors for the first time in September of 1961. The first graduating class went through commencement ceremonies in June 1962.